(Le Havre 1901 - 1985 Paris)
In 1916, Dubuffet enrolls at the École des Beaux-Arts in Le Havre, followed, in 1918, by the Académie Julian in Paris. In 1920–22, he studies ancient and modern languages, philosophy, literature, and music. In 1924, he stops making art; until 1933 and again from 1937 until 1942, he goes into business, working as a commercial agent in Buenos Aires and as a wholesale wine merchant in France. In 1942, he picks up the brush again. Starting in 1945, he collects art by outsiders, for which he coins the label “Art brut.” In 1947–49, he undertakes three extensive tours of the Sahara. From 1955 on, he resides in Vence, with extended stays in Paris during the winters. In 1962, Jean Dubuffet donates his collection of “Art brut” to the City of Lausanne. In 1966, he starts making large polystyrene sculptures.